Therapeutic Category: Antibiotic
Pharmacological Class: Cephalosporin
Composition: Xifim 100 DT
Each dispersible tablet contains Cefixime trihydrate equivalent to anhydrous Cefixime USP 100 mg
Each film-coated tablet contains Cefixime trihydrate equivalent to anhydrous Cefixime USP 100 mg
Each 5 ml of constituted suspension contains Cefixime trihydrate equivalent to anhydrous Cefixime USP 50 mg
Pregnancy Category: B
Presentation: Xifim Tablets
Available in the pack size as 10 tablets X 10 strips
Available in 60 ml bottle with a measuring cap
Cefixime, an antibiotic, is a third-generation cephalosporin. Cefixime is highly stable in the presence of beta-lactamase enzymes. As a result, many organisms resistant to penicillin and some cephalosporin due to the presence of beta-lactamases may be susceptible to cefixime. The antibacterial effect of cefixime results from inhibition of mucopeptide synthesis in the bacterial cell wall.
Mechanism of Action
The bactericidal action of Cefixime is due to the inhibition of cell wall synthesis. It binds to one of the penicillin binding proteins (PBPs) which inhibit the final transpeptidation step of the peptidoglycan synthesis in the bacterial cell wall, thus inhibiting biosynthesis and arresting cell wall assembly resulting in bacterial cell death.
- Ear: Otitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis and Streptococcus pyogenes.
- Sinuses: Sinusitis.
- Throat: Tonsillitis, pharyngitis caused by Streptococcus pyogenes.
- Chest and lungs: Bronchitis, pneumonia caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae.
Route of administration: Oral
Otitis media: 400 mg/day in single daily dose or divided 12 hourly.
Pharyngitis/Tonsillitis: 400 mg/day in single daily dose or divided 12 hourly.
Absorption: About 40%-50% absorbed orally whether administered with or without food.
Protein binding: Approximately 60 %
Route of elimination: Renal and Biliary
Half-life: 3-4 hours
- Very common: Diarrhea
- Common: Abdominal pain, dizziness, dyspepsia, fever, flatulence, headache
Xifim is contraindicated in:
- Hypersensitivity to Cephalosporin class of antibiotics
- Caution in patients with history of Kidney disease
- This medication may cause false positive results with certain diabetic urine testing products (cupric sulfate-type). This drug may also affect the results of certain lab tests. Make sure laboratory personnel and all your doctors know you use this drug.